Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Hot New Italian to Help My Exercise Program

As many of you know, The Prostate Cancer Awareness Project creates and supports bicycling events as a means of getting the word out about the importance of testing and early detection of prostate cancer. We also believe that exercise and lifestyle change help prevent prostate cancer from occurring and in preventing or delaying recurrence.

Following my surgery in May of 2003, I returned to bicycling and since then have ridden 16,362.6 miles and climbed 226,177 vertical feet of climb, including a climb up the fabled Alpe d’Huez in the summer of 2009.

After almost 21 years riding my 1988 Serotta Davis Phinney road bike, I’m headed for an upgrade!

I’m in discussions with the US distribution company for Formigli bicycles to become a sponsor of our bicycling events and provide discounts on their exquisite products in support of our programs. I will personally purchase the initial frame and it will be a Formigli Classic lugged steel frame in black, set up for road riding and climbing.

But how to select the frame size?
Formigli produces only made to order frames, so you need to provide them a complete set of specifications, such as seat tube length, head tube length, chain stay length, bottom bracket drop, etc. As you can see, at this point I’m well beyond simply fitting my body to an existing frame; I actually have the opportunity to create a frame with the riding geometry for my specific intended use, which will be hill climbing and long distance cruising - think century rides.

i’ve contacted a number of local bike shops and it looks like my first stop is going to be Veloworx in Santa Monica, California. The team there was trained in fitting by Paul Swift, who I’ve met several times at Interbike. I meet with them tomorrow afternoon. Check back for the report!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to make a comment. We are gathering information on a not-for-attribution basis about the stage of men's prostate cancer at diagnosis. If you feel comfortable in telling your story, we would like to know how you were diagnosed at the stage of your cancer at initial diagnosis.